Sunday 20 September 2009

Who's the best of a bad bunch?

In the blogsphere recently there have been lots of posts about who people are voting for when the general election rolls around. Most people seem fairly sure of where their vote is going. Me? I really have no idea which party to vote for (providing the election is held after I turn 18).


Tories: Still the nasty party, nothing could make me vote Tory. Sorry Dave.


Labour: If they moved a bit further to the left they would be an automatic choice, but at the moment their handling of the financial crisis could have been better... or they could have not caused it in the first place. Also the policies section of their website just tells me what they've done so far in power not what the stand for or want to do in the future. Smacks of either arrogance or defeatism. But if I am indeed in the Ilford South constituency I will probably vote Labour as Mike Gapes seems to be doing a good job.


Lib Dems: An interesting proposition, their flagship policy of abolishing tuition fees entices me, but the prospect of it being ditched doesn't. Clegg's taxation policies seem quite left wing from what he said on the Andrew Marr show, but I can't see myself voting for them as they seem unlikely to get in.


So despite their flaws, it seems I'll be voting Labour. I just wish it was a better labour.

3 comments:

  1. "Mike Gapes seems to be doing a good job".

    He does?

    *Voted very strongly for introducing ID cards.
    *Voted strongly for introducing student top-up fees.
    *Voted strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws.
    *Voted very strongly for the Iraq war.
    *Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.
    *Voted very strongly for replacing Trident.

    http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/mike_gapes/ilford_south

    ReplyDelete
  2. Locally as a constituency MP he seems to be doing a good job, especially what he's been doing in regard to the "Save King George's Hospital" campaign.

    I hadn't actually checked his voting record, and as you point it out, it isn't good and is giving me second thoughts about voting for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know much about Ilford South or Mike Gapes, so I was interested to see your response. He seems very popular locally given his electoral gains, his seat looks pretty safe. Good luck making the right decision. Thanks for replying.

    ReplyDelete